Two Blogs for the Price of One

Two of the sides of my existence are coming into close alignment...

So, the walking and running...

After the madness of a half marathon followed by a long distance path, it's been a week of gentle recovery and then off to the Isle of Man for a week of fun, visiting historic and prehistoric sites and as there was a long distance path... well it'd be rude not to!


It's a walk of two halves - the first half was near perfect walking; rolling hills, short sharp ascents in places and finished at a pub with a cracking burger! It's the Crosby in Crosby.   Then its road and trail walking all the way to Castletown... where I met up with some of the extended dickey ticker family (who treated me to tea!).

Home from the Island it was a rapid tour of Liverpool with the Icelandic branch of the dickey ticker extended family, and a quick hug with one of the Norwegian branches... Yes, my life is as mad as it sounds.

Then to a 10k, my plan was to just try and get round with minimal walking.  And I did, no walk breaks, just a solid plod.  It was 10 min slower than my PB, but I'm missing over 10 weeks of running, and all of my running since 1st Jan has been long-distance or prepping for long distance.  I also know I probably could've gone faster, but the confidence built up from running 3 or 4 times a week has also gone a bit.


Which is a nice Segway into the next part of the blog... Thursday is my annual check-up... the heart will be ECG'd and echo'd, I'll have a chat about things and I'm 99% certain that I'll be going back in a years time.  There may be another MRI somewhere in the next year, possibly some other tests (and I may even ask for an exercise test - not had one in a long time). 

The 1% is problem, that gnawing doubt that something may be lurking, that after almost 40 years something will have started playing up.  I don't feel anything wrong, but have too many GUCH friends who haven't felt anything before getting some bad news to put too much faith in feeling good.

So, the 1% will nag and gnaw - is the 10k pace solely down to not being as fast due to a lack training, and being heavier than I prefer to be? Is there something lurking... My body says that its the legs, the near perfect concentration on endurance events, and the lay-off.  But the 1% will always be there...

So, I will be twitchy, and I will be grumpy, and I will keep planning next year...

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…