Who let the (mad) dogs out?

I have a cold... my nose is a mucus stream

I'm tired - Long week at work...

I'm tired - Meeting about a pet project or two at the CHF offices on Friday, Friday night the requisite relaxation and discussion time (yes, that does mean a bottle or so of wine... Each) Trustees meeting in London on Saturday..

I have a cold - the rule books says take it easy...

I have a congenital heart defect - sometimes it has a moment...

The Mad Dog has been voted the best 10k in the country - and its bloody good, its one of my favourites (the Bug Runs midweek madness is v v close to perfection as well).

So, by the km...

1st - 6:06 - Too fast, swept along in the moment... Heart rate up, but not too far

2nd - 7:18 - first 700m far to fast, legs won't reset down... Heart rate higher than I like... Do the right thing, walk 300m reset the system

3rd - 6.59 - solid, PB territory, feels good, HR back to normal for running

4th - 6.58 - solid, wave at mate whose comment was I was looking faster than last year...

5th - 6:47 - take gel, blow nose, do the twisty bit.. Other runners start looking tired, pick target for next KM

6th - 6:55 - target taken early, slowed down afterwards - pick new targets for the run in...

7th - 6:57 - solid, woman running on my shoulder, sweeping my targets with me

8th - 7:00 - solid, woman on shoulder now in front of me, not letting her go... systems check, nose still dripping, heart rate ok, PB on if I hold steady

9th - 6:37 - take woman early, new targets set, legs stretch out, only 2000m to go, systems looking good, see where I am and then do the last one...

10th - 6:02 - watch not important, targets falling, spotted someone who'd got a good distance in front when I walking back at km 2... Can I do it... yup.. last 30m...

67:40 by the watch, 67:47 by the chip... Previous PB was 69:32 - so almost 2 minutes off...

Should I have run, possibly not, but the t-shirt is Grrrrr-eat!






The cold is still there, the dicky ticker is behaving itself, the gym kit and climbing gear is in the bag... Gentle tomorrow...

Oh, as I said I'd raise awareness - I was in Children's Heart Federation colours, my scar prompted comment in the changing rooms and I had a good natter with a few people... Job done, and done well:-D


TTFN

Paul




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…