The internal monologue...

Running is at its core very simple - you put one foot in front of the other, at a pace faster than walking...

Which is why it gets so complicated in my head...

Have I set off too fast, or too slow? Is that twinge a twinge I can run off or something I can ignore, if I ignore it for how long? How many miles have my shoes done, do I need a new pair? what flavour are these energy sweets meant to be? What's for tea? Why didn't that pair of cyclists go into single file, it meant I had to run through the puddle? What meetings have I got this week at work? How's my heart rate? Hail!!! Bloody hell that hurt! Am I going too fast, or too slow? That twinge has moved... where's it going next? What time do John Lewis' stop doing Sunday lunch? Someones texted, it can wait for my next minutes walking... How many sweets have I got left? Definitely new shoes for the GNR & Marathon, that stone hurt... Bugger the sun's come out, take jacket off or leave it on?

And then for a few glorious moments everything just works, my heart rate drops a little and my speed increases, my feet glide instead of thump, the twinge disappears...

And then a skittish horse needs to be got around...

Twinge is back, now moved for the 4th or is it 5th time... Where's the turning off the transpennine trail onto the canal, must be soon... Hmm, an idea, while at the Fringe I'll jog up Arthur's seat... Ah, a sign, no its for a pub... ohhhhh, pub lunch, what time did John Lewis' stop? Last 10km, not feeling bad, been definitely a loooong... sloooow.... run.... Canal turning, I know the route now, know it well... time to pick the pace up... jacket on, probably should be off, can't be bothered.

Sub 3:30 is possible, do I go for it, do I not... Bugger I forgot all about that text! How much hydration fluid have I got left, last of the sweets gone, down to 5km, I can see the church spire near mine, hot bath, hot bath! Bloody angler moved his rod at the wrong time, trying to hurdle after a half marathon isn't elegant, survived with a glancing blow rather than anything major, twinge on the move, where are my compression shorts in the flat, come on, just pick the feet up, 3:30 is just possible... I set off too slow, my last 5 miles is going to be my fastest, keep it up! Hell, big stone in shoe, going to have to stop, stone out, relaced... too tight, loosen, lost a minute, local drunk decides he wants to run with me, then wants to hug me, come on give me a break... Blast, 3:30 has gone, now turning up the slight hill to the flat... 3:31 accroding to the Garmin... That'll do! The one on the phone had the extra minute of my shoving it in a pocket before I set off...



And relax... time to unwind... Arthur's Seat, now that was a good idea:-)

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…