The night before a check-up

So, the tests are done...

The 24h ECG - with as ever the surprised look when I hand it back an explain its been for a climb, a walk, a chilli based dinner... oh and a 5 mile run.

The MRI - with the need to raise the issue of treating patients like humans

The Exercise test - 8 days after a half marathon, apparently I'm as fit as someone my age and weight should be...

and its the night before the chat about how its gone and what the pictures of the inside of my heart say.  What I do know is I'm climbing well and back to running three times a week, so there's little externally up with me, which makes the night before more fun and confusing than ever.

A running friend recently asked me what the night before a check up is like - and I thought and said its like a taper.  The taper is period of time between the last training run and the race you've trained for months for. Runners during this period have every niggle, every ache and pain that you fear will mean that you'll under perform on race day or worse miss it all together. 

But its a taper compressed into an evening, the slight twist from the cruciform move on a new traverse at the climbing house - is that a dickey ticker symptom?  The heaviness in the legs - a product of a 90 mile (total walking and running) week - or another symptom.  And so it goes on... the indigestion, the headache...

And so I revert to what I do when I'm in the taper, eat well, try and relax and fondle the race bling from the last year.  Remember what I've done and where I am and that's where its possibly going to be an interesting discussion if they want to do much more than care and maintenance....

That's not me going into denial, its me being pragmatic - four weeks ago with minimal training I ran a half marathon, slowly but I ran the vast majority of it.  My climbing is getting back to where it should be, my vexed moves of compression and pinches still are vexatious but I'm climbing 6a's again.

And so I plan my day off...

Up, run 5 km... Go for breakfast, then read a bit, head to the hospital, wait around, probably wait a bit more, see what the cardiologist says, go and find some new running shoes, have lunch and relax...

Nice and easy when you write it quickly

TTFN

Paul    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…