Jubillee Weekend Blogging pt1 of 3

I've been busy... So you my lucky readers will have the pleasure (dubious or otherwise) of 3 blogs...

One on an update on my running

One on the British Cardiovascular Society meeting

and one on things general...

So running...

In a couple of weeks I'm doing a half marathon in the Lake District - with a fair chunk of up and down...

http://www.greattrailchallenge.org/TheEvent/Default.aspx I'm doing the half, because I don't know how much the hills and terrains will slow me up, it's been 4 weeks since Belfast so my legs are now fully recovered (the 10km personal best helped gee up the marathon blues)...

However, training is partly about going beyond what you'll face on a race day, the Kenyans say "Train hard & run easy", or my modified version "Train hard & run less painfully"...

So, the Great Trail is going to be running a third to a half of a way up a mountain.  My training to go as fast as I could to run up a full mountain.  Fairfield is mountain I love, and one I know fairly well, which reduced the fear of the new and made it something that if the running thing didn't work I would enjoy walking around.

Now, normally Fairfield is a 7-8h walk, at least it is for me, so anything under 7 I was going to be happy with.  Throw in a hot spell (it was hitting 30c in the valleys at times) and gale force winds then it was a proper challenge... and met my criteria for being tougher than anything that GreatRun is (probably) going to throw at us.  For instance, I suspect the route won't include a V0 bouldering problem (I went the walkers way, rather than the runners way... ooops).

So, how did I do... I was blown/tripped over once.  Found an energy sweet I don't like, decided to invest in a new hydration pack... and finished in 4:49... As ever the details are here:


As ever my post run analysis was honest - could I have gone faster? Yes, by choosing the right route (a bouldering problem will slow me down, and a 6ft jump ain't in my repertoire, by being more confident on the rock strewn paths (time and experience will bring that) and by fuelling and drinking better on the go... However, I'm not complaining, a sub-5h Fairfield, 10 miles and 3000ft is good for me.  Ok, the course record is 75min, but that's just silly!

So, 2 weeks... Plenty of time on the evil stepping machine to simulate steep hills, try and find rough and ready paths, and keep the fitness levels up there.

Those watching on Facebook will have spotted I've changed apps for my instantaneous updates, I've a new phone, with a new operating system so have moved from Cardiotrainer to Endomondo... So far so good...  So the HTC Desire bows out with 936km this year, and so far 18km on the Lumia 900 - which means I'm 8 miles shy of 600 miles - good job I've a long weekend:-)

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…