The last run of the year (sort of)...

It's been a bad year for running... Between hideous coughs that threatened to make my lungs come up, smashed and bloody knees and a general nagging feeling of being blurgh my running, by my standards hasn't been brilliant...

However, my fastest half marathon on the hills of Liverpool, two other halves that showed what I could do without much training... an obstacle color run... and a lot of fun.

Which did lead to an interesting chat with my cardiologist, I don't think he's met many runners who sit there and say "I've had a bad year of running... but that means three half marathons, a handful of 10k's... oh and a couple of long distance paths".

Knowing what I can do means this year does hurt, a bit... A marathon downgraded to a 16 miler due to the knee and then a DNS due to the migraine hurts in terms of a run not done.

However, it's still three half marathons, two long distance paths walked and a lot of fun - and I can remember the years where I thought that a single half and some walks was a good year.

So, I've just kicked myself in the arse and started looking forward to tomorrow... which is officially the last run of the year, the last medal, the last t-shirt and what a t-shirt and medal - for in the morn I race Death himself...

I've done every one of the Beat the Reaper 10k's - I've been chased by the big bloke in black and by some quite cute devils... so I know the route, I know the fun to be had and I know that I will be slow. My plan is to enjoy it, to jog around in 75 minutes (hopefully) and to re-state the obvious - enjoy it.

And then I rest... With a possible short run around Chester on Monday night - testing head torches...

And then I rest... Until November, a dedicated couple of weeks off... and then the long, slow process of getting back into shape...

As for the 12 month challenge, I have 7 months to do multi-day walks in Northern Ireland and Wales, whilst fitting in my usually busy life - Plans and maps are bought, logistics will come soon.

I hope my luck with injuries, viruses, and other irritants has turned, because I am missing a damn good run...

TTFN

Paul


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…