Day 3 - thinking, t-shirts & singing...

Saving the best to last is normally a good strategy... And the last 5km of the walking was some of the best walking around. It also, at times, was more staircases than strolling.  Up a crag, down the other side. Pause, slurp from my water bottle. See if there's a photo opportunity, then stroll up again...

But that's getting ahead of myself... The first 20 miles went well, long stretches of gentle walking. The tea shop distribution was very uneven, so morning tea & nibbles was rapidly followed by lunch... And then nothing until arriving at the hostel.

I was asked by a fellow hosteler what I thought about when walking such a long way... Everything, and nothing... I think back on other walks, especially those with friends no longer around, I prepare discussion notes for essays & talks (the details never stock, but the gist does & that helps) and I revel in the sheer joy of having my existence reduced to putting one foot in front of the other...

After explaining my background & why I do these things I got the 'do you think about your heart' question. And the honest answer is sometimes, not linked to anything, there's been no funny beats or inability to reach top gear so far (my speed has been dictated by my legs & feet) but like a constant companion it sometimes whispers - don't forget to buy the T-shirt at the end, you've a check up next month...

And the madness, even I when confronted with the ups & downs of steel rigg well resort to counting or in desperation singing, well caterwauling, 'one more hill' to a tune from Les Mis... I got funny looks from sheep & humans alike.

Ttfn

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…